The August 19, 2016 meeting of the TWU Board of Regents was highlighted by the signing of a new partnership agreement between Texas Woman’s University and the TWU Alumni Association, signaling new and exciting changes for university alumni.
Preceding the August agreement with the University, three other important steps had been taken by the Association:
To ensure that the Association assets are protected, the Association signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the TWU Foundation, dated April 12, 2016. Here are the key points of the agreement.
- The TWU Foundation will accept and issue receipts for all donations made to the Association and serve as the fiscal agent for all funds including investments.
- The Foundation will fulfill reporting requirements to the IRS, donors, and the Association.
- The Association will retain responsibility for the administration and distribution of donations directed to the Association including distribution of scholarship funds.
- The agreement assures that all donor directives will be honored.
- The TWU Alumni Association will retain one seat on the Foundation Board of Directors as a full voting member.
Second, the name of the organization was changed from the TWU Former Students Association to the TWU Alumni Association. At the annual business meeting on April 16, 2016, the vote was unanimous in favor of the name change. Appropriate paper work was filed with the State of Texas and the name change was granted.
The third change of note was an amendment and restatement of the organization by-laws. The proposed revisions were mailed to the membership in July, 2016 and approved as of August 1, 2016. The new by-laws are highlighted by an open membership and a large, representative Board of Directors to govern the Association. Below are the highlights:
- All individuals who have earned a degree or a certificate from the institution are considered members of the TWU Alumni Association.
- Donations are welcome and accepted, but no dues are required.
- Association chapters and other alumni groups will continue operations and be supported by the Association
The agreement signed by the Association and University recognizes the changes and assures that TWU will provide staff support and resources to the Association through the TWU Office of Alumni Relations and other entities.
Current members of the Board of Directors will provide leadership for the transition to the new structure. The Association will continue to maintain space at the Alumni House located on University Drive.